Sunday, May 1, 2011

Greetings

This is my first attempt to have a blog. As a convert to the faith, one of the things that drew me to the Catholic Church was its rich history of deep theological insight and philosophical writings. Authors like Augustine, Dionysius the Areopagite, Maximus the Confessor, and Aquinas all provided me with a great deal of substance upon which to grow in my faith. In addition, the great apologists such as Justin Martyr and Blessed Cardinal Newman provided me with an understanding that faith is more than a profession of personally held beliefs. Rather, it was a search for truths that lay beyond myself, realities which served to ground me in the greater world beyond just my preconceived notions. Ultimately, all truths lead to Christ Jesus, who is the way, the truth and the life (Jn 14.6). 

Unfortunately, so much discussion concerning matters of faith and morals has become so politicized in the world at large, but lamentably even more so within the Church, that reasonable discourse about these matters is almost impossible to achieve. We must be able to discuss these matters rationally. The greatest thing about Saint Thomas Aquinas' Summa was that it took the arguments made by very learned men and addressed them for the merits of their arguments. Such debates can occur today. We can disagree without resulting to attacking the character of the other side. If we believe that the truth is on our side, then we should not have to rely on creating caricatures of the other side's arguments. 

Commenting can be a place where one can leave an articulate commentary on the material posted. The internet does not have to lapse into the a virtual subway restroom wall where random statements of profanity, vulgarity and wrath are hastily spray painted in some time of verbal drive by shooting. I hope that all of you will take a look at the rules governing posts. As administrator, I do reserve the right to remove any offensive post. 

As well as being able to have discussions concerning current topics of theology and philosophy, I will also be posting my homilies. I hope that you will feel free to leave comments on them so that I might be able to better improve upon my preaching.

Thank you for reading and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment